Empaths, Introverts, and Highly Sensitive People Oh My!…Simple ways to tell the difference.
It’s hard to tell an Empath, Introvert, and a Highly Sensitive Person apart because they all have similar traits. What makes it even more tricky is that you may be all three, which makes it more confusing. To try to make you better understand each trait, here is a simple explanation and their common characteristics.
Empaths – Feels others emotions.
An Empath is a highly intuitive individual who senses what people around them are feeling and thinking. They often absorb other people’s emotions and not being able to distinguish their feelings from others.
Traits of an Empath:
- Feel other people’s emotions and energy.
- Highly intuitive.
- Trouble setting boundaries.
- Put others before themselves.
- People pleasers.
- Describe yourself as shy and introverted.
- Very sensitive.
- Felt like you never fit in.
- Overwhelmed in large crowds.
- Need alone time to recharge.
- Loves nature.
- Afraid of intimate relationships.
- Prefer one to one meetings over large groups.
- Overwhelmed with multitasking.
- High reaction to caffeine and medications.
- Avoids conflicts and arguments.
- Low tolerance for pain.
- They like peace and quiet.
- Sensitive to uncomfortable clothing.
- Trouble watching violence on TV and movies.
- Tend to attract toxic people in their lives.
- Emotional eater.
Highly Sensitive Person – Very sensitive to outside stimuli.
A highly sensitive person is someone who experiences acute physical, mental or emotional response to stimuli. They feel things far more strongly than others do.
Traits of a Highly Sensitive Person:
- Often described as too sensitive.
- Overwhelmed when they have a lot to do.
- Freezes when being observed by others,
- Loves the arts.
- Difficult time letting go of negative thoughts and emotions.
- Often feels anxious and tense.
- Beats self up when falls short of expectations.
- Afraid of rejection.
- Compares self with others.
- Worries about what others think.
- Take things personally.
- Hard time accepting critical feedback.
- Highly sensitive to smells.
- Sensitive to itchy clothing.
- Doesn’t like noisy enviroments.
Introverts – Find their energy form within.
Introverts are people who are drained quickly in social situations. They need time alone in order to recharge their energy. They get energy from within not from other people.
Traits of an Introvert:
- Gets energy from being alone.
- Prefer time to themselves.
- Drained in social interactions.
- Prefer working alone.
- Has a close circle of friends.
- Introspective and curious.
- Zone out a lot.
- Prefer writing over talking.
Empaths and HSP’s can be either introverted and extroverted. 70% are introverted. The majority of Empaths are also Highly Sensitive, but not all.
Their is a difference between empaths and an empathetic person. An empathatic person is when your heart goes out to someone else. Empaths feels another persons emotions in their own body.
Were you able to discover who you are? You can be only one or all. It is important to understand why you are the way you are and communicate it to others. When you are aware you can learn strategies to take care of yourself for you to experience less overwhelm and stress in your life.
If you are looking for more clarity on these traits feel free to connect with me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.